Saturday, August 18, 2012

Bonocular August 19th 2012

I went out for a look at 0020 GMT and conditions had deteriorated, especially near the horizon. With a low laptop battery, I decided to do a binocular scan. I saw Jupiter low in the east but could only see one moon. Aldebaran was barely visible to the unaided eye but the Hyades actually showed quite well. The Pleiades (M45) showed the main asterism. Melotte 20 showed well and I could just make out M34. To the west, the Wild Duck cluster (M11) was lost in the murk but M13 was just visible. I could also see M15.

I could also see M29 and M39 in Cygnus, objects that I sometimes lose on very clear nights when they are difficult to see against the Milky Way background.

I did my usual tour of the summer double stars and ended up with the Andromeda Galaxy (M31) and I could just see some of the Pinwheel (M33).

No comments:

Post a Comment